The SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity – formerly known as the Powerhouse Science Center – is an adaptive reuse of the historic 1912-era PG&E Power Station, which sat vacant on the banks of the Sacramento River for 60 years. Before becoming the region’s newest hub for science education and exploration, the historic structure had to undergo stabilization and rehabilitation. The building received a complete structural retrofit and a second floor for flexible exhibit space. A new two-story, 22,000SF addition was built on the east side of the existing building and contains an entry lobby, classrooms, offices, a café and a 110-seat planetarium prominently on display with a zinc-clad hemispheric dome rising above the building’s mass.
SMUD Museum Of Science And Curiosity
Get project updates, latest news, and more.